Dr Michael A Pikos is a zygomatic implant expert and the founder of Coastal Jaw Surgery, the first ZAGA Center in Tampa Bay. He is also the founder and CEO of the Pikos Institute, a medical center that offers advanced courses to other dental professionals on advanced bone and soft tissue grafting, as well as on dental implant placement.
Dr Pikos has extensive experience in implant surgery, having placed more than 30,000 implants and having performed thousands of hard and soft tissue grafting procedures. Regarding the procedures, Dr Pikos emphasizes interactive CT technology along with foundational principles of prosthetics and biomechanics that dictate the ultimate success of comprehensive implant rehabilitation.
As for his professional background, Dr Michael A Pikos attended The Ohio State University, where he graduated Summa Cum Laude. Then, he graduated with honors from The Ohio State University College of Dentistry. Afterward, Dr Pikos completed his residency training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Pittsburg, Montefiore Hospital.
Moreover, Dr Pikos shares his years of experience and knowledge in ZAGA’s mentoring program designed for specialists who want to learn about zygomatic implant rehabilitation.
Dr Pikos's Achievements
- Aaron Gershkoff Memorial Award from the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (2016)
- Saul Schluger Memorial Award for Top Educator
- First winner of the Carl E Misch Advanced Dental Implant Studies Education Award.
Dr Pikos's Publications
- Burgess A V, Story BJ, Wagner WR, Trisi P, Pikos MA, Guttenberg SA. 1999. Highly crystalline MP-1 hydroxylapatite coating. Part II: In vivo performance on endosseous root implants in dogs.
- Fotos PG, Pikos MA, William Rose M. 1985. Case 57: Multiple enlargements of the premaxilla and mandible.
- Miron RJ, Dham A, Dham U, Zhang Y, Pikos MA, Sculean A. 2019. The effect of age, gender, and time between blood draw and start of centrifugation on the size outcomes of platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) membranes.
- Miron RJ, Pikos MA. 2018. Sinus Augmentation Using Platelet-Rich Fibrin With or Without a Bone Graft: What Is the Consensus?
- Miron RJ, Zucchelli G, Pikos MA, Salama M, Lee S, Guillemette V, Fujioka-Kobayashi M, Bishara M, Zhang Y, Wang HL, et al. 2017. Use of platelet-rich fibrin in regenerative dentistry: a systematic review.
- Misch C, Jensen O, Pikos MA, Malmquist J. 2015. Vertical Bone Augmentation Using Recombinant Bone Morphogenetic Protein, Mineralized Bone Allograft, and Titanium Mesh: A Retrospective Cone Beam Computed Tomography Study.